Are you up for the Challenge?
We still need $640,000 to renovate Canyon High School’s Gym! Will you donate?
The Canyon gym has not had any significant renovations since the school opened in 1974. Anyone that has been a part of Canyon knows that the gym is the heart of the campus, and is the one building that is used by every Comanche. Students use the gym for Physical Education and Dance classes; a variety of CIF sports, Music & Vocal performances, Pep Rallies, Freshman Orientation, Club Meetings, Science Olympiad, Back to School Night, Testing, and much more. It is essentially the front room to our Comanche home.
Our gym also plays a vital role in Anaheim Hills and services our community as a host to a variety of youth programs. It also provides a safe location for Adaptive P.E. programs and is an evacuation center for Anaheim Hills and Orange residents. While the gym is vital to our campus and community it is extremely outdated and does not meet current ADA requirements.
Renovations will include:
- ADA compliant bleachers that include hand railings and wheelchair accommodations
- Installation of new wooden flooring
- New padding, banners, and paint
All families and businesses donating $333 or more will receive special name recognition on our donor wall in the renovated gym.
Why is it Important?
- The gym is 45-years old and is in need of significant repairs.
- We need to replace aging bleachers with an ADA (American Disabilities Act) compliant design that includes handrails and wheelchair seating.
- Create a safer and more competitive experience by replacing
flooring with new wooden flooring. damaged
- Update the overall aesthetics of the gym which serves the entire student population and is the heart of all school activities.
- Provide a better and more accessible evacuation site for the Anaheim Hills and Orange Communities.
- Letter to the Community
- Week of Giving Flyer
Current Photos of the Gym Interior
Why Can’t We Use Measure ‘S’ Funds for Renovation?
Per the guidelines set forth in the bond resolution, Measure S funds will be focused on renovation of the educational environment at Canyon, i.e. classrooms. While gyms, pools, and fields are all used as educational spaces, the funding priorities are to create science labs that meet current safety and classroom requirements, as well as remove portable classrooms from the campus.